社区 积分充值 签到 APP下载 快捷导航
穿针引线服装论坛»社区 服装应用 服装英/法/意语 全英文课程教你做设计--------八度火英语区特供资料 速 ...
返回列表 发新帖

[实战经验] 全英文课程教你做设计--------八度火英语区特供资料 速来围观!

[复制链接]
查看: 27129|回复: 104
2016-3-23 22:18
跳转到指定楼层

主题

回帖

听众

小学三年级

引线币
精华
注册时间
2010-10-18
在线时间
594 小时
积分
威望
发表于 2010-10-30 02:15:46 显示全部楼层 来自: 广东惠州
回复 7# 八度火
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

听众

小学三年级

引线币
精华
注册时间
2010-10-18
在线时间
594 小时
积分
威望
发表于 2010-10-30 02:16:12 显示全部楼层 来自: 广东惠州
唉,,英语没学好,看不懂,。。。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

听众

论坛版主

宇宙自由人

引线币
精华
注册时间
2007-4-1
在线时间
1386 小时
积分
威望

精华先锋资深版主

楼主| 发表于 2010-10-30 21:09:25 显示全部楼层 来自: 广东深圳
infant bodysuits

Hello, everyone!  If you're just joining us, please read a shocking lack of baby clothes, the introduction to our project, and get yourself the pattern.  Then join us back here, where the action is!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before we plunge into sewing baby suits, there are a few things you'll need to know about sewing with knit fabrics.  If you're a knit-fabrics-old-pro, please skip this section and forge on ahead.
Sewing with Knits:
-Use a ball point needle in your sewing machine.  These are also called "stretch" and "jersey" needles.
-Seams in stretch fabric need to stretch with the fabric.  Your sewing machine may have stretch stitches, in which case you will not need to stretch the fabric as you sew.  If you prefer to sew seams with a straight stitch, stretch the seams slightly as you sew to build in stretchiness.  Experiment with different stitches to see what works best for you.
-If your machine has the option to lighten the presser foot pressure, do so.  Lighter pressure will help keep the fabric from rippling as you sew.
-After you've sewn a seam/hem/detail etc., the piece is likely to appear stretched out.  Steaming and pressing as you go will help everything go back into shape.
Pattern Prep:
First you'll need to print the pattern out and tape the top and bottom halves together.  When that's done and it's cut out, you'll have this:

Excellent.  The sleeve reads "Hem fold line, cut here for binding".  In these instructions we'll hem, not bind the sleeve.
The front and back each need to be cut on the fold of the fabric, and you'll need two sleeves.  The shoulder is marked with a little pointing finger on the fronts, backs, and sleeves.  Make clips there.

The back of the sleeve is also marked.  Make a clip to show you which is the back of the sleeve.
Applique:
One of the reasons for even sewing our own baby suits is that we can embellish the front before the side seams are sewn up.  A simple applique works well.
Trace your applique shape onto the paper side of paper-backed fusible adhesive.  Fuse it to a small piece of contrast fabric and cut out the shape.

Center the shape and fuse it to the bodysuit front.  You can sew around the edges or leave them alone. Here I've used a blanket stitch.

Binding the Neckline:
The neckline and the leg openings have no seam allowance, because we're binding them.  The width of the binding is up to you.  Cut a crosswise piece of contrast binding that is 3/4 the length of the front neckline, and 3 times the width of the finished binding.  It's useful to also add 1/8" to the width to allow for folding.
For example: When sewing this sample bodysuit, I wanted 3/8" finished neckline binding.  So I cut a strip that was 3/8"+3/8"+3/8+1/8"=1 1/4" wide.
Pin the binding to the neckline, right sides together, matching center of binding to center of neckline, and pinning at both ends.

Stitch the binding to the neckline, stretching the binding (but not the neckline) to fit.  Use the seam allowance you chose above.  This one is 3/8".

Press the seam, then press the binding up toward the neckline.  Fold it around the seam so that the raw edge just covers the stitching on the wrong side and pin.

(I admit to being a little psycho about the pinning.)  Press the binding now, before stitching, to coax it around those curves.
From the right side, sew close to the fold, catching the raw edge on the wrong side.  Here I'm using a twin needle, which gives a nice finish and a little stretch, but a single needle works fine also.

Press that well, and repeat the process for the bodysuit back neckline.  Note that the front neckline and back neckline will not be the same length.
I think we'll stop there for today, and finish up next time.  Let me know if anything's unclear or causes you head-scratching.  And thanks for playing along!

Sleeves:
Press the hem allowance to the wrong side on the fold line.  Stitch from the right side, using a 3/8" seam allowance.  Again, I've used a double needle here, but a single works fine.

To create the armhole, lay the bodysuit back on top of the bodysuit front, matching the shoulder notches.  Baste inside the seam allowance to hold the shoulders together.

Pin the sleeve into the armhole curve, right sides together, matching shoulder notches.

Stitch the sleeve into the armhole, with the sleeve against the sewing machine feed dogs.  This will help ease the sleeve into the armhole.
Side Seams:
Sew side seams, from sleeve hem down to leg opening.

Binding Leg Opening:
Cut a strip that is 3/4 the length of the leg opening, measuring from the front corners.  (The measurement for size 3-6 months is 24", cut a strip that is 18" long.)  Again, the width will be 3 times + 1/8" the desired final binding width.  On the leg opening here I've used 1/2" final width, cutting my strip 1 5/8" wide.  This strip will need to be wide enough to accommodate snaps.
Divide the strip into fourths with pins.

Pin the binding strip to the right side of the leg opening, matching the center pin to the center back, and the other pins to the side seams.  Pin the short ends to the lower front corners.

Stitch the binding to the leg opening, stretching the binding (but not the bodysuit fabric) to fit. Press the seam.
Fold the raw edge of the binding to wrong side of the leg opening.  The raw edge should just cover the stitching on the wrong side.  Pin and press.

From the right side, stitch close to the binding fold, catching the raw edge in the stitching underneath.

Closure:
Note-if you are using polyester twill tape, and have been using a "cotton" setting on your iron, don't press the twill tape without changing settings!
Cut a piece of twill tape that is 1/4" longer than the front closure tab is wide.  Using a 1/4" seam, stitch it to the right side of the tab.

Fold the twill tape to the wrong side of the tab.  Fold the raw edges in and pin.
Stitch twill tape in place 1/4" from the top edge.
Attach snaps to tab, centering one and placing the other two on the binding.

Apply snaps to the back overlap in corresponding positions.
And we're finished!

I'll be back next time with my thoughts. In the meantime, please share yours.  What do you think?  What would you change?  Let me know!
Thanks again,

评分

参与人数 1引线币 +15 收起 理由
Prince W. + 15 精品文章

查看全部评分

个人qq:17535441
微信: baduhuo,注明穿针看到的
欢迎潮汕的服装 胶记人 联系交流!!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

听众

小学五年级

引线币
精华
注册时间
2006-4-14
在线时间
319 小时
积分
威望
发表于 2010-10-30 21:31:43 显示全部楼层 来自: 广东东莞
我来看一下,这些英文一个个分开来变成字母我都认得。
很想和你一起吹吹风,去吹吹风
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

听众

小学三年级

引线币
精华
注册时间
2010-6-16
在线时间
56 小时
积分
威望
发表于 2010-10-31 21:36:38 显示全部楼层 来自: 湖北武汉
漂亮啊,喜欢
私はあなたと永遠にいっしょにいると思っています
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

听众

论坛版主

宇宙自由人

引线币
精华
注册时间
2007-4-1
在线时间
1386 小时
积分
威望

精华先锋资深版主

楼主| 发表于 2010-11-3 00:32:54 显示全部楼层 来自: 广东深圳
本帖最后由 八度火 于 2010-11-8 00:36 编辑

two to smock

Next spring and summer, if all goes well, (and I have no reason to think it won't, but worry is a mother's bread and butter) I'll have a baby girl who will be 4ish to 6ish months old.  And life will be getting back to "normal".  Yes, I believe in this eventuality with all my heart. And what she will need, at that point in her life, is a couple of sweet smocked dresses.  Of course.
To that end, this week we're going to look through my fabric stash and see what we can come up with.  You game?
The lovely thing about baby clothes is they can be made from a remnant of fabric from another project.  Well, okay, that's ONE of the lovely things.  It helps, I suppose, if you tend to buy more fabric than you actually need for the project you have in mind today, just in case you should need that extra yard for something else sometime.
I understand what this says about me.  I realize just exactly how bad this means the fabric addiction has become.

First, I have this white pinstriped voile that we used for another project a while back.  The perfect canvas for whatever we'd like to make for spring, white could go in a variety of directions.  I think we'll try a green geometric smocking with some silk ribbon flowers on top.

And here's an eye-popping bright fabric that I think says "summer" loud and clear.  There's not really any competing with this print, so I'm thinking a few rows of a geometric smocking in a couple of blending-in colors will be sufficient.            
Ah, we're going to have some fun with these.  Because, I mean, baby.  Dresses.  Really.

Before we can smock up some baby-dress cuteness, we need, of course, a pattern.  Fortunately a yoke-style pattern is easy-peasy to draft up.  So let's.
We'll begin with the basic bodice pattern and puffed sleeve pattern.  Both are available on the basic patterns page, or you could alter a yoke dress pattern you have lying around.  We'll be using the 3-6 month size.

There we are, all printed out.
Neckline:
First we'll make the neckline a little wider.  I want to remove 1/2" here, but then put back in 1/4" for a seam allowance:

Waist Seam:
Now, here's the trick with a smocked yoke dress.  We're only going to smock on the front of the skirt just below the yoke on these.  But smocking controls the fullness of the skirt for a certain depth (the depth of the smocking).  If the yoke seam were at the same height at front and back, and then there were rows of fullness-controlling smocking below that, it would cause the skirt to hang a little funny.
So what we do instead is determine how deep the smocking is going to go on the front, and make the yoke seam lower by that depth on the back.
So:
There's a lot going on in this photo, so we'll take it slow here.
The pink line shows where we want the yoke seam to be on the front.  I've drawn a line all the way across the bodice front and back.
Then I've determined that 1 1/2" of smocking (or four rows on my pleater) ought to be plenty for a baby dress, and drawn a line 1 1/2" below the pink line on the back to show where we'll cut the back yoke seam.  This line is green.
The blue lines are seam allowance lines for front and back.
Seam Allowances:
And now all that's left is to cut the pattern pieces apart and add any remaining seam allowances.  We'll need to keep the bottom of the bodice front, because we'll need to cut that little bit of the armhole curve out of the top corners of the skirt front.  The skirt back will just be a rectangle.  We will need to remember to cut the skirt front 1 1/2" longer than the skirt back. The width of the skirt will be 3 times the finished yoke seam.  I believe that's the rule of thumb for pleating and smocking, yes.
Here are the pattern pieces, then:

The puffed sleeve comes with a 3/8" seam allowance already, so I didn't add one.  I did, however, add 1/2" at the center back for a button closure there.
And that's it.  We've got our pattern and we're ready to go to the fabric-and-scissors stage!
(Oh, I love that stage...)
Questions, as always, are most welcome.  You?  There in the back?

Good morning everyone!  Today, before we cut out our white dress, I think it's a good idea to run a test piece through the pleater.  Because we haven't got a commercial pattern to shake our fists at if we do it wrong, see.
The "rule of thumb" for pleaters is, I think, that three times the finished width of fabric should pleat up to be the finished width.  So we'll start with a piece of fabric 9" long.
We'll thread up the pleater, run that through, and pull the threads up to make it 3" long.

Hm.
Let's try a piece 12" long.  Then, if we pull it down to 3" wide it'll be a 4:1 ratio.

Yes, I like that much better.  This could probably go 5:1 without batting an eyelash, but the skirt gets fuller every time we add another notch here, and we don't want to forget that this is a baby dress.  So I think that the 4:1 will do fine.
Here they are compared, the 4:1 on top and the 3:1 on bottom:

Now we can cut out the rest of the pieces, because now we know the width of the skirt rectangles.  As far as length goes, until babies can crawl, I like to keep their dresses long.  Personal preference entirely, I understand, but I do love me a baby girl in a long dress.  So I'm going to make this dress a couple of inches above what would be floor length if a 3-6 month old could stand up.
So, the pieces:

We will, in addition to these pieces, need several miscellaneous straight and bias strips.  We'll need:
1 placket strip (straight)
2 sleeve bindings (bias)
1 neckline binding (bias)
1 piece of piping for the bottom of the front yoke (bias)
But we can cut those from the leftover fabric when we need them.
Pleating:
Now we're going to take our rolled-up skirt front piece there and run it through the pleater, using two more rows than we intend to smock, to hold the pleats in place above and below our smocking canvas.
Then we'll pull up the threads and tie them so that the pleating is the same width as the yoke:

At this point I realize with cold dread that I've made a dire mistake.  Remember those armhole curves we so carefully preserved because the skirt front yoke seam was so high?  I've forgotten to add them.  It's okay, though, because I've realized it before I smocked the whole thing, and at this point it's still pretty straightforward to go back.
It's just...going back.  Why does that make me break out in a sweat?  It doesn't.  I'm okay.  Don't worry.  I'll...I'll fix it, and then I'll get back with you.
Don't send help, everything's under control here...

After yesterday's mistake, a handful of chocolate chips, a little pair of sharp scissors, starch, and a hot iron, I'm ready to pleat the white skirt front again.
Here's the difference:

See that tiny little notch that needed to be drawn in right there?  Seems pretty insignificant, but that's the bottom of the armhole and the side seam allowance, so it's actually a very important little notch.  So.  I've flattened the skirt front fabric back out into a rectangle, and drawn those curves in on both top corners, but at this point I will not cut them out.
Now, to back up just a bit.  I tend to assume everybody knows what I know and am immensely grateful when someone tells me that's not true.  So here for a minute we're going to talk about what pleating is, at least in the sense we're talking about.
I've got a whole picture-exploration-post about various kinds of pleats here, but the kind of pleats we use for smocking are called "cartridge" or "smocking" pleats.  They don't lie flat, like most pleats, but are designed to stay three-dimensional in the finished garment.  The way that these pleats were made before somebody came up with a little machine called a "smocking pleater", (and the way they can be done still) was simply by sewing several long rows of running stitches across a piece of fabric and pulling the threads until the fabric pleats onto the threads.  
There are packages of iron-transfer dots that make spacing the stitches for making smocking pleats dead easy (google "Knott's Dots") and they look something like this:

Then you just sew down through the fabric on the first column of dots and up through the second column, in rows down the fabric.
A faster way is to use a smocking pleater.  Which is what this funny looking thing is:

The pleater is a set of long gears that, when you turn the handle there on the right, do two things at once.  They fold the fabric into pleats, and force the pleats onto the sharp end of that row of needles that's sticking out there.  Doing essentially the same thing that you were doing with the rows of dots and a hand needle, but doing it more quickly.
Here it is, threaded up, doing its thing to the top of the skirt in our white fabric:

And here it is, all finished:

Now we're going back to the point where I so unceremoniously broke off yesterday.
Here we are again:

Now I've pulled up the strings to make the top of the skirt there the same width as the yoke bottom, except that I pulled the strings out of the way of the armhole notches thus:

Pinning the whole thing to the ironing board helps a lot during this process of tying off the strings to just the right width.
You can see the holes where the threads did go, but I've pulled them out so that the pleats only live right under the yoke and not over into the side seams.  A little steam and/or starch and/or water will take those holes out.  
Now we can cut the armhole curves out:

And now we're ready to proceed with sewing on the yoke, a feat we'll accomplish next time...
Until then, then!
欢迎潮汕的服装 胶记人 联系交流!!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖

听众

论坛版主

宇宙自由人

引线币
精华
注册时间
2007-4-1
在线时间
1386 小时
积分
威望

精华先锋资深版主

楼主| 发表于 2010-11-3 00:35:16 显示全部楼层 来自: 广东深圳
本帖最后由 八度火 于 2010-11-8 00:43 编辑

Happy Monday, everyone!  I hope you had a lovely weekend.  Today we're continuing onward with the construction of our white smocked baby dress.  
There are (at least) two schools of thought when it comes to smocking and construction.  My mother always pleated her fabric, smocked her design, and then did all the sewing.  Perhaps it's those few years I spent sewing ready-to-smock clothing, but I prefer to get more of the sewing done up front, so that by the time I've finished the smocking, the outfit is nearly done, and just requires a few more strokes with the sewing machine.
And, since it's me doing the talking, we'll do it my way.
Front Waistline Seam:
First we'll cut a piece of piping the precise width of the bottom of the yoke piece:

My piping there is simply a piece of bias-cut fabric, cut twice as wide as my seam allowance, plus 1/4" to wrap around the cotton crochet yarn I've used inside.  Since this is a straight seam, you could probably get away with using straight-grain piping, if you were into that type of thing, or if you had a plaid or striped fabric that demanded it.
Now, gently, gently, we'll baste the piping to the top edge of the pleated skirt:

How does one baste gently, gently, you might well wonder.  Lighten the pressure foot pressure if you can, use a long stitch (a basting stitch, even), and go slowly here.  We're trying not to crush the pleats all flat or spread them out like you can see I've done right in the middle there.  (I took it out twice, begged the pleats to cooperate, and finally gave up and pinned my hopes on the smocking to tighten those pleats back up.)  We're trying to get the pleats sewn to the piping as evenly as we can.
Now we'll baste the yoke piece on there, right side to the skirt right side:

Then we'll baste the yoke lining on there, right side to the skirt's wrong side:

And now that we've got everything for the yoke in place there, I'm going to sew it with an actual seam, at a respectable stitch length, but what I'm going to do is sew one seam, then flip the yoke upward and look at the piping.  If it still looks too loose, I'll flip it back down and sew another seam a hair closer to the piping, until the piping looks tight and nice sticking out of the seam, thus:

Sleeves:
Now we'll sew up a couple of puffed sleeves:

Back:
A 3" continuous bound placket at the skirt center back:

And then we're going to put the back yokes on.  Here's how that works.  First we'll run two gathering rows, one at the waist seam line and the other halfway between there and the raw edge.  
Now, if you remember, we cut the bodice backs on the fold, so that the bodice back and the bodice back lining are attached to each other.  So, now we'll need to fold this bodice/lining piece in half and put a pin where it folds.  Essentially this is the point where it changes from being bodice to being lining.  You with me?
Okay, so now we need to pull up the gathering threads on half of the skirt back and pin it to the bodice back, thus:

Then we'll sew that, wrap the lining around and sew that:

See where we're going with this yet?
When we repeat that for the other side, and pull the bodice backs upward, we get this:

...a tidy waistline seam, encased between the lining and the bodice backs, and the back of the dress, ready to be sewn into the rest of the dress.
Now.  We have the front ready to be smocked, the back ready and waiting, and the sleeves all cute and queued up.  I suppose that means it's time to get my needles and floss and get some smocking done. I'm on it.
See you next time!

I did, in fact, take my needle and floss and smock across the front of the white voile baby dress, just as I said I would:

It reminds me, now, of green vines running all across a white fence.  Which means, of course, that it's waiting for some flowers.
Here's what the front looks like so far:

Although that photo makes the smocking look black, almost.  I assure you, it isn't.
Next time, the flowers!

Finally having finished the silk ribbon flowers on the white smocked baby dress, here it is:

Now, I think that teaching smocking may be outside the scope of this website (and really, I'm an amateur, occasional smocker and unqualified to lead anybody anywhere) but I do have some recommendations.

For fabulous books on silk ribbon embroidery and smocking (and many other lovely handsewing techniques), Australian Smocking and Embroidery's A-Z books can hardly be beat.

This page from Creative Keepsakes gives a good primer on smocking.

This article from Threads Magazine gives 5 basic silk ribbon embroidery stitches, enough to get you started.

I've removed the gathering threads, and am ready to do the final construction that makes this little bit of fabric, thread, and ribbon into a dress worthy of a spring baby.

Which we'll do next time.

Until then,

Note:  Carrots help with heartburn.  Eating carrots and sewing a white dress do not mix.
Since we did all that sewing beforehand, now we're just a few swipes from being finished.  Before we start, however, I want to point something out.  
Observe:

Somehow, during my sewing, the yoke and yoke lining ceased to line up right.  Now, I could take a seam ripper and take the lining off, then put it back on again, (which is probably what I should do, technically) but since it's only on one side I think I'll just trim it.  
So, carefully, carefully, making sure I'm trimming both sides the same amount, I'll make that armhole edge even.
Shoulder Seams:
Now we'll sew the shoulder seams in the yoke and yoke back.

We'll press those shoulder seams open.  The lining, as you see, is still hanging free.
Now we'll sew the lining shoulder seams, right sides together:

So that once we're finished, the shoulder seams are nice and tidy from the inside.
Neckline:
Now, back when we made the pattern, we added a seam allowance.  This was because I thought we could sew the yoke and lining together at the neckline, like we did here.  It became apparent to me as I worked through, though, that sewing that neckline seam and turning the yoke right side out with suuuch a tiny yoke would be impossible.  So the only option really left to us is to bind the neckline.  Which works fine, except we still have a 1/4" seam allowance at the neckline.
So, naturally, we'll need to take that out. The easiest way I've found to do something like this is to let the sewing machine do the measuring for you, by putting in a basting thread at the correct width:

And cutting along that line.
Then we'll baste the neckline again, this time to hold the two layers together while we bind them.  We'll also cut a piece of fabric for the binding, on the bias, six times plus 1/4" or so as wide as we want the finished binding to be.

We'll fold that in half, wrong sides together, and press it.
There are (at least) two ways proceed from this point.  If it's important that we maintain a stitchless appearance on the binding, as I would want on something heirloom-esque, we'd sew the binding to the right side, fold it around to the wrong side, and slipstitch it in place.
On this neckline, however, I'm doing it "backward".
First we'll sew it to the wrong side, matching those raw edges to the neckline raw edges and leaving the long ends hanging off at the center back:

Then, after pressing the binding toward the neckline, we'll fold it around to the front and pin it, so that the folded edge covers the stitching there:

It is possible that the seam allowance will need a little trimming, to make it easier to coax that binding around into the right place.  The ends at the center back are trimmed just short enough to wrap around and fold underneath the binding, raw edges out of sight.
Then we'll sew very close to the folded edge, all the way around the binding:

Pressing the binding when we're all done makes it look sharp and finished.
I think we'll stop there for today, and finish all up on the white dress next time. Because I need to go find some carrots.
Wishing you a heartburn-free day,

评分

参与人数 1引线币 +15 收起 理由
Prince W. + 15 精品文章

查看全部评分

欢迎潮汕的服装 胶记人 联系交流!!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

回帖